Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to an alphabet:‘alphabetical characters’
- ‘Who are the respective champions of those alphabetical soup organizations?’
- ‘Brackets take a few milliseconds more to type since you have to stretch your fingers out of the range of the familiar alphabetical keys.’
- ‘To some scholars, it looks like Chinese characters, while others think it looks more like alphabetical writing.’
- ‘Eliza begins to look at life in alphabetical terms.’
- ‘We named these loci based on their linkage group number followed by one or more alphabetical characters.’
- 1.1 In the order of the letters of the alphabet:‘an alphabetical index’‘in alphabetical order’
- ‘It's really an address book, but it serves very well to record the names of my plants in alphabetical order, together with where they came from and when I planted them.’
- ‘One page, for example, is covered top to bottom with the names of U.S. cities in alphabetical order.’
- ‘Amazingly enough, the voters had cast their ballots in alphabetical order.’
- ‘Here's our guide to finding the best buys for back-to-school wear this year, listed in alphabetical order.’
- ‘It is your fault I put my canned goods in alphabetical order.’
- ‘Studies have shown even that alphabetical order of names can be the prime factor in winning or losing elections.’
- ‘In interests of fairness, and to avoid any suggestion of judgement from me, the pieces are presented in alphabetical order by blog name.’
- ‘Then the next hour or so was spent putting the CDs onto the shelves, which required me having a good old sort out and arranging them all into alphabetical order.’
- ‘The hint was that the clues and/or the answers were in some way alphabetical from A to M and that at a later date we could expect a second quiz covering from N to Z.’
- ‘She shipped in a huge library of books and arranged all 600 of them into alphabetical order, which was stipulated in the script.’
- ‘A state-by-state and alphabetical guide of root beer brands includes vintage models like this one from Canada Dry.’
- ‘Without further ado, here's my take on the city's top 10 best pieces of theatre in alphabetical order.’
- ‘They are actually going to have some sort of organization, although I can't promise anything alphabetical.’
- ‘Players are in alphabetical order in the index from Abad to Zuleta.’
- ‘The first book's title, he admits, was a deliberate attempt to get it listed first in an alphabetical list of walking books being produced at the time.’
- ‘There's several hundred bands to choose from, listed in long and eye-glazing alphabetical order.’
- ‘Make an alphabetical list of all your lovable qualities from adorably brilliantly cool to xerophytic, youthful and zymotic.’
- ‘The buildings were lettered for easy identification, in alphabetical order from east to west.’
- ‘To help make bingos, most competitive players arrange their tiles in alphabetical order, into alphagrams.’
- ‘I guess its just that as you get older, things for some bizarre reason start to look better in alphabetical order, or at right angles to each other, or not all over your bedroom floor.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.