One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A version of a piece of software that is made available for testing, typically by employees of the company that is developing it, before its general release.‘at this time we are close to finishing the alpha version’Compare with beta version
- ‘This latest one is the last alpha version, however, so a beta release won't be far behind.’
- ‘Since the first Alpha version was released, many other new features have been added at the request of the staff.’
- ‘Although only an alpha version, we still were curious to try Crow.’
- ‘When we released the alpha version of our software, so many people began using it that our puny server crashed under the load.’
- ‘We looked at an alpha version, but it performed surprisingly well in our tests.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.