One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The normal electrical activity of the brain when conscious and relaxed, consisting of oscillations (alpha waves) with a frequency of 8 to 13 hertz.
- ‘Scientists say television viewing increases your brain's alpha waves and slows your beta waves, making you feel mellow and relaxed.’
- ‘He claims that leftbrainers are functioning at the beta wave level, while rightbrainers are at the alpha wave level.’
- ‘The study reported that the brain absorbs L-theanine within 30 minutes and that higher doses increase alpha wave production and relaxation.’
- ‘During a medium hypnotic trance, the metabolism, breathing and heartbeat slow and the brain produces alpha waves.’
- ‘Once a console session had begun, their beta wave levels rapidly decreased to well below the level of alpha wave activity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.