Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Ionizing radiation consisting of alpha particles, emitted by some substances undergoing radioactive decay.
- ‘After the boron is selectively localized to the tumor, it is irradiated with neutrons that cause the release of alpha radiation from the boron atoms.’
- ‘Long before artificial probes were available, subatomic researchers such as Rutherford relied on concentrated alpha radiation.’
- ‘Capturing neutrons causes the boron nuclei to break apart, resulting in the emission of alpha radiation and lithium nuclei.’
- ‘Scientists of the National Institute for Health Protection in Macedonia detected eight times higher than normal levels of alpha radiation in the air during the air war.’
- ‘It is not really dangerous in such small quantities; but plutonium is nevertheless hazardous if ingested and absorbed into bone marrow, where its alpha radiation can destroy cells or initiate cancers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.