One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A helium nucleus emitted by some radioactive substances, originally regarded as a ray.
- ‘The neutron is a better hammer than the alpha particle for smashing nuclei.’
- ‘Scientists from a government-funded medical research laboratory at Harwell in Oxfordshire have produced the first direct proof that a single alpha particle emitted by uranium can damage human cells.’
- ‘The alpha particle is emitted by certain radioactive elements as they decay to a stable element.’
- ‘A beta particle is an electron that could make it just a little way into the skin, while an alpha particle is a charged helium nucleus that will bounce right off of you.’
- ‘Because the alpha particle (the helium nucleus) with two protons and two neutrons is especially cohesive, the release of nuclear material is often in this form.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.