One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The beginning and the end (used by Christians as a title for Jesus).
- ‘A range of portable items have been found bearing Christian motifs such as the chi-rho, alpha and omega, or the representation of a fish.’
- ‘Are we willing to be the alpha and the omega rather than stand in the middle all the time?’
- ‘He is the alpha and the omega, the principle and the end, the foundation stone and the keystone, the plenitude and the plenifier.’
- ‘When Jesus talks about being alpha and omega, it offers the picture of someone at both ends of something, without middle ground.’
- ‘A sign outside says in huge letters: Jesus said ‘I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end’.’
- 1.1 The essence or most important features.‘collective bargaining is seen as the alpha and omega of trade unionism’
completely, entirely, totally, fully, whollyView synonyms
- ‘We are the alpha and the omega in seashore dining and freshly prepared gourmet seafood.’
- ‘Why should one of the elect be bothered about table manners, if cognitive ability, without virtue or civility, is the alpha and omega of human excellence?’
- ‘Well, I'm here to tell you that it's all bull-honky - the Marx Brothers are the alpha and the omega of silver screen comedy.’
- ‘In opposition to this tradition, Epicurus saw earthly pleasures as the alpha and omega of life.’
- ‘Instead, Jews and Judaism provided both the foundation of society and its hope for the future - they have become, if you will, the alpha and the omega of humanity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.