One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organic acid containing a hydroxyl group bonded to the carbon atom adjacent to the carboxylic acid group. A number of such compounds are used in skincare preparations for their exfoliating properties.
- ‘To soften skin, use yogurt, which contains the alpha-hydroxy acid called lactic acid.’
- ‘Exfoliating scrubs and chemicals like alpha-hydroxy acids and retinoids (including retinol, Retin-A and Renova) can leave skin smooth and glowing because they eliminate dull, dead cells on the skin's surface.’
- ‘Nonchemical exfoliators such as alpha-hydroxy acids and beta-hydroxy acids loosen dead skin cells so they slough off more efficiently.’
- ‘Chemicals related to vitamin A such as tretinoin (eg Retin A cream) and chemical peels containing alpha-hydroxy acids (eg glycolic and lactic acids) are commonly used for this.’
- ‘While alpha-hydroxy acids are added to skin creams to reduce the signs of aging, they can also increase the skin's sensitivity to the sun.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.