One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The rosy light of the setting or rising sun seen on high mountains.‘the red granite flickered warmly in the evening alpenglow’
- ‘Ride the gondola to a log lodge on the top of Winter Park Mountain and watch the alpenglow wash over the granite tops of the Indian Peaks, turning the clouds orange and pink.’
- ‘The coldness of the colors is given an unusual strength in this photograph by the presence of the vibrant alpenglow: The cold and warm colors intensify each other.’
- ‘Sinking behind nearby Mount St. Helens, the sun ignited Mount Hood in fiery red alpenglow.’
- ‘Nearing dusk, we put on skins and climbed back up to the lodge, whose beaconing lights looked like a Christmas card with alpenglow highlighting the surrounding mountains.’
- ‘From the roadside vantage points we had stunning views of McKinley's commanding summit bathed in alpenglow and reflected in Wonder Lake.’
Late 19th century: a partial translation of German Alpenglühen, literally ‘Alp glow’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.