One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A light canvas shoe with a plaited fibre sole; an espadrille.
- ‘He modeled his product after the alpargata but used brighter colors and different materials.’
- ‘Once Brad Pitt is seen in alpargatas, all Argentines are going to put them on.’
- ‘The men of Otavalo wear three-quarter length white trousers, white alpargata shoes beneath them, flowing dark ponchos, and hats of differing sizes and colours.’
- ‘Carpet-weaving and manufacture of givehs (canvas covered shoes like the Spanish alpargata in appearance) have long been carried on in the town.’
- ‘It was fun reading the AP report on one of my favorite gaucho things, alpargatas.’
Early 19th century: from Spanish.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.