One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Collins always seemed to play the game with an air of detachment, a cool aloofness in his comfortable possession of the ball and passing that was as smooth as soul music.’
- ‘Being basically a shy person, I think some players mistook my shyness for aloofness.’
- ‘The locals were neither friendly nor unfriendly; they stood staring from doorways or muttering to themselves in gloomy lanes, and their aloofness was unusual.’
- ‘It was his air of aloofness that drew attention.’
- ‘His mysterious, mesmerizing aloofness suggests that all we yearn for, all that really counts for us in the end, is hopelessly out of reach.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.