Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Potato:‘aloo jeera’
- ‘Regulars don't need to be told about the chicken pakora, or main courses such as aloo saag (potato and spinach) or chicken karahi bhuna.’
- ‘I've had the excellent aloo mattar tikki before - lightly spiced potato and pea cakes, shallow fried and great with yoghurt dressing.’
- ‘It could be a Jewish latke, Swiss roesti, American hash brown, Indian aloo tikki or anything in between.’
- ‘With layers of aloo slice, banana slice, grapes, pomegranates, curd, chutney and masalas adorning a slice of bread, it is a fruity delight.’
- ‘I had my favourites - saag paneer (spinach with cheese), aloo channa (potato and chickpeas) and a mushroom bhaji and rice.’
- ‘Louise, being vegetarian, had fewer options, including chana masala, sag aloo and vegetable biryani.’
- ‘The meal plan will be personalised to cater for every palate and includes varieties like mint chutney, and aloo paneer tikki, which are classified as low-calorie diet.’
- ‘And hotels cannot afford to leave out aloo gobi, aloo mutter, paneer butter masala, chana masala and dal fry from their list of curries.’
- ‘The aloo chomp was a spiced potato cake with fresh ginger, chilli and chives and had a paper thin crust.’
- ‘For spice and flavour, make a beeline for the Bengali samosas, ghoognis, namkeens, and aloo dum with peas kachoris.’
- ‘She cooked alu and then cut them up for the audience to see and then feel.’
- ‘We chose plain boiled rice and a side dish of sag aloo: potato and spinach to you and me.’
- ‘Among the rice specials are pulavs and biryanis, which go down well with any of the four raitas offered - tomato, alu, onion and boondi.’
- ‘The food, however, was fully seasoned with Trini herbs and spices, revellers enjoyed Dhal pourie, paratha, curried mango, aloo and channa, and lots of Trinidadian sweet bread.’
- ‘My wife, Jayne, enjoyed the mini savoury selection which consisted of crunchy onion bhajis, aloo tikkas, spinach pakoras and vegetable samosas all deep fried and served with two dips.’
- ‘Next it was time for a pre-lunch snack and there seemed to be an aloo tikki (potato cake) with my name on it somewhere in the vicinity.’
- ‘In the video version of the ad campaign, Simpoo charts his mouth-watering diet: He starts his day with aloo de parantha and mango aachar and later dines on aloo gobhi and sarsong ka saag.’
- ‘The sag aloo was excellent, the potato chunks moist and tender, and the naan bread was fine.’
- ‘Typical dishes include dum aloo, khatte baingan, methi chaman, and naider yakhni or lotus root.’
- ‘My meal was yummy - I had aloo chana masala (chickpeas and potato in a spicy tomato sauce) with mushroom rice.’
From Hindi, Urdu, and Sanskrit ālū.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.