Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The name of Victoria gives you a clever, quick, analytical mind, but you suffer with a great deal of self-consciousness, lack of confidence, and much aloneness because of misunderstandings.’
- ‘Existentialism is a 20th century philosophy that asserts the fundamental meaninglessness of life and our abject aloneness.’
- ‘Suddenly, her aloneness, the dress, the expensive vanilla-scented perfume, the strange drinks and the unfriendly looks from across the bar make sense.’
- ‘Both of the characters feel the terrible pain of aloneness and separateness felt also by both Linnet and Owl of the changeling stories.’
- ‘‘I was a single parent and the only thing that stopped me was the thought of leaving my little boy alone in the world,’ she says.’
- ‘I believe that what you do and what I do is very important in this country, because there are so many people who sit at home alone and don't recognize their sense of aloneness.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.