One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1mass noun A gelatinous substance obtained from a kind of aloe, used especially in cosmetics as an emollient.
- ‘The company's dishwashing liquid, for example, contains surfactants made from vegetable oil, as well as ingredients such as aloe vera and wheat protein.’
- ‘The mask is impregnated with ginseng, vitamin E, aloe vera and green tea.’
- ‘Cami, I burned my back at the beach, can you put on some aloe vera gel?’
- ‘Start using a soap that has aloe vera and other moisturizers in it.’
- ‘Organic jojoba oil and aloe vera gel star in this thick conditioner that softens dry, damaged hair.’
- ‘She's got her arms full of packages of fig newtons, containers of pitted dates, sunflower seeds, papaya juice, avocado face cream, aloe vera soap, and wheatgerm shampoo with matching conditioner.’
- ‘Haas also recommends applying honey and creams containing aloe vera to the skin.’
- ‘Later on, the masseuse covers the client's body with a dark chocolate body mousse, consisting of mineral-rich French clay, dark chocolate, shea butter and aloe vera gel.’
- ‘Keep your lips soft and supple by moisturizing them with non-medicated balms containing conditioners like aloe vera, vitamins A and E, and cocoa butter.’
- ‘Its mouth-tingling blend of certified organic tea tree oil, aloe vera, clove and cinnamon helps fight bacteria and soothes irritated gums.’
- ‘Enriched with shea butter, aloe vera, palm oil and essential oils, this bar cleans, hydrates and conditions the face and body, and gives great shave foam!’
- ‘Sun Dog offers a solution for that winter-induced dry skin with new hand and body lotions made with only natural ingredients, like aloe vera, vegetable glycerin and organic hemp oil, and free of chemical preservatives.’
- ‘Creams or ointments containing aloe vera or propolis (a natural anti-microbial agent extracted from beehives) have been found to help reduce the discomfort of cold sores and hasten their healing.’
- ‘Firm Gel also conditions hair while holding it with a blend of aloe vera, moisturizers, vitamins, and green tea extract.’
- ‘Although it is best known today as a cosmetic ingredient, research is confirming the value of aloe vera in the treatment of numerous disorders.’
- ‘She is delighted that in a survey conducted among the UK's independent retailers by Health Food Business, Faith In Nature's organic aloe vera range came tops.’
- ‘The liquid creatine of today has come a long way with the help of ingredients such as soybean oil, colloidal mineral complexes and aloe vera gel.’
- ‘Udderly Smooth hand and body lotion with vitamin E and aloe vera helps restore softness and moisture to dry, chapped skin.’
- ‘If babies are teething, rub peppermint oil or aloe vera gel on the gums, or give them a teaspoon of the chamomile/ginger tea brew as needed.’
- ‘At the same time I see people bypassing the plants in their garden and their grandparents' knowledge to spend a month's income on foreign, processed aloe vera in a plastic bottle with a smart label, believing it to be a ‘modern’ medicine.’
2The plant that yields aloe vera, grown chiefly in the Caribbean area and the southern US.
- ‘The aloe vera plant is grown typically in dry areas and is actually a member of the lily family, although it has a more cactus like appearance.’
- ‘I pulled a big leaf off the aloe vera plant beside the porch, split it and applied the gel to the cut.’
- ‘You can grow your own aloe vera plants, or purchase the stabilised liquid extract or gel from your health food store.’
- ‘They resembled a cross between a cactus and an aloe vera plant; thick and fleshy, with hairs extruding from their tendrils.’
- ‘We also bought a wide terracota pot to replant the big aloe vera plant in at some point - apparently they aren't deep rooted and prefer wider shallower pots.’
Early 20th century: modern Latin, literally ‘true aloe’, probably in contrast to the American agave, which closely resembles aloe vera: both plants were formerly classified together in the lily family.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.