One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
benefactor, benefactress, humanitarian, patron, patroness, donor, contributor, giver, sponsor, backer, helper, altruist, good samaritanView synonyms
- ‘He was a generous almsgiver.’
- ‘Unlike the almsgivers of past times to whom suffering was suffering and to be alleviated however it had been incurred, these men are stern moralists.’
- ‘He was an almsgiver with a firm determination to study Buddhist scriptures.’
- ‘These good souls are clearly survivals from the alms-givers of the medieval Church.’
- ‘He caught the attention of Archbishop Hubert Walter by 1195, and through him became confessor and alms-giver to King John from 1204 to 1207.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.