One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
benefactor, benefactress, humanitarian, patron, patroness, donor, contributor, giver, sponsor, backer, helper, altruist, good samaritanView synonyms
- ‘These good souls are clearly survivals from the alms-givers of the medieval Church.’
- ‘He was an almsgiver with a firm determination to study Buddhist scriptures.’
- ‘He caught the attention of Archbishop Hubert Walter by 1195, and through him became confessor and alms-giver to King John from 1204 to 1207.’
- ‘He was a generous almsgiver.’
- ‘Unlike the almsgivers of past times to whom suffering was suffering and to be alleviated however it had been incurred, these men are stern moralists.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.