One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A free-standing cupboard or wardrobe.
- ‘Customers said that cost-effectiveness was one of the main reasons for the inquiries they had made regarding almirahs, wardrobes, beds and home furniture.’
- ‘‘He would shift a sofa or an almirah to bring some change,’ says Banerjee.’
- ‘All rooms in the house were thoroughly searched, including the almirahs, bed boxes and trunks.’
- ‘They take up valuable space upon shelves and inside almirahs, but no one has the heart to throw them away.’
- ‘Clothes that we no longer want to wear, or which no longer fit us, remain neglected for months or even years together on the shelves of almirahs.’
From Hindi almārī, via Portuguese from Latin armarium ‘closet, chest’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.