Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘In complementary experiments, CHD and CHDCA were used as models for LA as they also have double allylic systems.’
- ‘An example that Blackmond often uses is the asymmetric hydrogenation of the allylic alcohols geraniol and its isomers (g geraniol and nerol) carried out while she was at Merck.’
- ‘Abstraction of the double allylic hydrogen of CDH by triplet BZP would lead to a radical pair; this could explain the formation of benzene and all the detected minor photoproducts.’
- ‘For substances containing allyl or allylic side chains a direct mechanism of action involving an allylic cation which then reacts with nucleophilic centers of nucleic acid bases has been discussed in the literature.’
- ‘Decomposition of these primary photoproducts to give secondary products arising from allylic hydroperoxide degradation - either by Hock rearrangement or by alkenyl ether epoxidation - was also observed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.