Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
as modifier Of or denoting the unsaturated hydrocarbon radical —CH₂CH=CH₂‘allyl alcohol’
- ‘Garlic and onions are medicinal for their allyl sulphides antioxidant and detoxifying activity.’
- ‘The onion family (including leeks, chives and scallions) is rich in allyl sulfides, which can help lower high blood pressure and show promise in protecting against cancers of the stomach and the digestive tract.’
- ‘The biosynthesis of many important primary metabolites (such as cholesterol) proceed through intermediates that contain the allyl alcohol functional group.’
- ‘Initially our efforts concentrated on the two allyl side chains attached to the heterocycle via a methylene group.’
- ‘Epichlorohydrin is an important epoxide whose creation comes mainly from hydrochlorination of allyl chloride.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin allium ‘garlic’ + -yl.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.