Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[as modifier] Of or denoting the unsaturated hydrocarbon radical —CH2CH=CH2.‘allyl alcohol’
- ‘Garlic and onions are medicinal for their allyl sulphides antioxidant and detoxifying activity.’
- ‘Initially our efforts concentrated on the two allyl side chains attached to the heterocycle via a methylene group.’
- ‘The biosynthesis of many important primary metabolites (such as cholesterol) proceed through intermediates that contain the allyl alcohol functional group.’
- ‘Epichlorohydrin is an important epoxide whose creation comes mainly from hydrochlorination of allyl chloride.’
- ‘The onion family (including leeks, chives and scallions) is rich in allyl sulfides, which can help lower high blood pressure and show promise in protecting against cancers of the stomach and the digestive tract.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin allium garlic + -yl.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.