Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or derived from alluvium.‘rich alluvial soils’
- ‘These pioneer prospectors practiced surface mining, obtaining gold from the alluvial deposits called placers.’
- ‘Above these sedimentary rocks is a sequence of interbedded alluvial floodplain deposits and palaeosols.’
- ‘Silicate minerals constitute most alluvial sediment on Earth.’
- ‘The fertile soil is fine-textured, alluvial, loamy and free from boulders.’
- ‘A tube containing 6 grams of alluvial gold from the Cernavaia River also has a bicolor character.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.