One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘‘Why is she allus right and me allus wrong?’’non-standard spelling of always
- ‘I allus thought the critter was a crayfish, but meant to evoke Scorpio, the moody, dangerous Water Sign.’
- ‘It's good that your father's well, but then he allus did manage to fall on his feet didn't he?’
- ‘Doc Harris knows what he's talking about and we allus knew this would happen.’
- ‘Mary's wearin’ the long black dress that allus made her look so prim an’ proper, a real contrast to Marcie.’
- ‘When we reckoned on t'Saturday night (we allus reckoned on t'Saturday, you know), we had £50, and then there was the expenses to come off after that.’
Mid 19th century: representing a regional pronunciation.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.