Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Powerfully and mysteriously attractive or fascinating; seductive:‘the town offers alluring shops and restaurants’
enticing, tempting, attractive, appealing, fetching, inviting, glamorous, captivating, seductiveView synonyms
- ‘Such entertainments offered alluring images of appealing stars surrounded by an abundance of consumer goods.’
- ‘Madeline had chosen a tasteful yet alluring little black dress for Elizabeth to wear.’
- ‘You go to a newsagent and there are pictures of women in very alluring poses.’
- ‘The petals felt as satiny as my aunt's wedding gown, and smelled as alluring as her perfume.’
- ‘The census report and the Great Exhibition of 1851 offered the alluring prospect that Britain would become rich.’
- ‘I'm looking forward to getting a real taste of this incredibly alluring lifestyle.’
- ‘The idea of sharing Christmas cheer surrounded by warm sands and crashing surf sounded wonderfully alluring.’
- ‘This is the perfect time of the year to travel to what has to be one of the world's most exotic and alluring islands.’
- ‘They strike poses, flash winning smiles and try to make themselves look as alluring as possible.’
- ‘This story tells of a renowned German music professor who falls in love with an alluring Brazilian woman whom he met on Atlantic Avenue in Copacabana.’
- ‘She had to remember that he was as dangerous as he was alluring.’
- ‘When the lighting is right, beautiful houses look even more alluring at night than they do during the day.’
- ‘Becky, working as a governess, resorts to her good looks and alluring personality to move up in society.’
- ‘Jane smiled at him with a newly found boldness that he found very alluring.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.