One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1mass noun The dried aromatic fruit of a Caribbean tree, used whole or ground as a culinary spice and in the production of certain liqueurs such as Benedictine.
- ‘The highly aromatic mix may include nutmeg, rosebuds, turmeric, allspice, gingerroot, lavender, and aniseed, though the mix is as varied as the taste of the cook.’
- ‘Serve it with fine green beans cooked in a tomatoey sauce flavoured with garlic and a pinch of ground cinnamon and allspice, or with a cooling salad of tomato, cucumber and mint.’
- ‘Colin Spencer makes a lighter, spicier version, with garlic, allspice, balsamic vinegar and apple, a tart Bramley if possible, as the main flavourings.’
- ‘Combine oil, oregano, allspice, cumin, cloves and garlic in a large bowl.’
- ‘The fact that savory sorts of spices - cardamom, cinnamon, allspice or nutmeg - have taken on sweet rather than savory connotations is hopeful.’
- ‘This potato and chickpea paste is rolled out like dough and filled with sauteed onion, pinenuts, currants, allspice, and tahini.’
- ‘Spices - cumin, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves - are used sparingly but more prominently in the south of the Aegean, where Arab influence has left its mark, particularly in Crete and the Dodecanese.’
- ‘The fish is seasoned with salt and a few twists of a mill containing peppercorns and allspice berries.’
- ‘Butternut-squash soup, a bistro staple, benefits from freshly ground nutmeg and allspice and a spiral of pumpkinseed oil.’
- ‘In a spice grinder, combine the whole black pepper, white peppercorns, and allspice.’
- ‘While working on the dates, I boiled down the wine with honey and spices - whole black peppercorns, allspice, clove, cinnamon, and a bay leaf, along with grated zest of orange.’
- ‘Spices such as pimento or allspice, ginger, and peppers are used commonly in a number of dishes.’
- ‘When you use less sugar, add spices such as cinnamon, cloves, allspice and nutmeg or flavorings such as vanilla extract or almond flavoring to enhance the sweetness of the food.’
- ‘The quinces were favored with the addition of sugar, spices (such as allspice or cinnamon) and a drop of apple cider vinegar.’
- ‘For the Madras curry mixture: In saute pan over medium-high heat, toast coriander, bay leaf, cumin and allspice until fragrant.’
- ‘Deeply fragrant, it usually contains cardamom, coriander, allspice, cayenne, ginger, cloves and nutmeg, and invariably, dried rose petals.’
- ‘To make the marinade, lightly crush the coriander, allspice and chilli using a pestle and mortar.’
- ‘In a saucepan, combine the sugar, water, Thai chili, allspice, coriander seeds, cilantro, salt, and Thai long red pepper.’
- ‘In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, almonds, cinnamon stick, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and wine.’
- ‘For the curry oil, in a medium bowl, mix together the cinnamon turmeric, cardamom, cayenne pepper, allspice, white pepper, and cloves.’
2A tree of the myrtle family from which allspice is obtained.
Pimenta dioica, family Myrtaceae
- ‘Pimenta racemose is of the same family as allspice and has a similar scent and taste.’
- ‘The spicy tea made from the bay leaf (a member of the allspice family) is not only soothing, but can also help fight off the beginnings of a cold or the flu.’
- ‘Pimento, or allspice, is native to Jamaica and an important export crop.’
- ‘The allspice tree is not related to the pepper or to capsicum plants.’
3An aromatic North American tree or shrub.
Genus Calycanthus, family Calycanthaceae
- ‘Smaller trees and shrubs include red maple, Carolina allspice, and the fragrant spicebush.’
- ‘The huge evergreen family includes botanicals such as European mistletoe, rosemary, cloves, allspice and holly, as well as conifers, including pines, cedars and cypress.’
- ‘Purchase Carolina allspice when it's in flower because the quality of the fragrance varies from plant to plant.’
- ‘A most remarkable little ruddy blossom is that which we find on the sweet-scented shrub or Carolina allspice (Calycanthus lævigatus) from May to August.’
- ‘Many, but not all Carolina allspice have a complex fruity, spicy smell.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.