One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1mass noun The dried aromatic fruit of a Caribbean tree, used whole or ground as a culinary spice and in the production of certain liqueurs such as Benedictine.
- ‘Spices such as pimento or allspice, ginger, and peppers are used commonly in a number of dishes.’
- ‘The quinces were favored with the addition of sugar, spices (such as allspice or cinnamon) and a drop of apple cider vinegar.’
- ‘The highly aromatic mix may include nutmeg, rosebuds, turmeric, allspice, gingerroot, lavender, and aniseed, though the mix is as varied as the taste of the cook.’
- ‘Serve it with fine green beans cooked in a tomatoey sauce flavoured with garlic and a pinch of ground cinnamon and allspice, or with a cooling salad of tomato, cucumber and mint.’
- ‘Deeply fragrant, it usually contains cardamom, coriander, allspice, cayenne, ginger, cloves and nutmeg, and invariably, dried rose petals.’
- ‘For the curry oil, in a medium bowl, mix together the cinnamon turmeric, cardamom, cayenne pepper, allspice, white pepper, and cloves.’
- ‘The fact that savory sorts of spices - cardamom, cinnamon, allspice or nutmeg - have taken on sweet rather than savory connotations is hopeful.’
- ‘Combine oil, oregano, allspice, cumin, cloves and garlic in a large bowl.’
- ‘The fish is seasoned with salt and a few twists of a mill containing peppercorns and allspice berries.’
- ‘In a spice grinder, combine the whole black pepper, white peppercorns, and allspice.’
- ‘Butternut-squash soup, a bistro staple, benefits from freshly ground nutmeg and allspice and a spiral of pumpkinseed oil.’
- ‘When you use less sugar, add spices such as cinnamon, cloves, allspice and nutmeg or flavorings such as vanilla extract or almond flavoring to enhance the sweetness of the food.’
- ‘While working on the dates, I boiled down the wine with honey and spices - whole black peppercorns, allspice, clove, cinnamon, and a bay leaf, along with grated zest of orange.’
- ‘To make the marinade, lightly crush the coriander, allspice and chilli using a pestle and mortar.’
- ‘This potato and chickpea paste is rolled out like dough and filled with sauteed onion, pinenuts, currants, allspice, and tahini.’
- ‘For the Madras curry mixture: In saute pan over medium-high heat, toast coriander, bay leaf, cumin and allspice until fragrant.’
- ‘Colin Spencer makes a lighter, spicier version, with garlic, allspice, balsamic vinegar and apple, a tart Bramley if possible, as the main flavourings.’
- ‘In a saucepan, combine the sugar, water, Thai chili, allspice, coriander seeds, cilantro, salt, and Thai long red pepper.’
- ‘Spices - cumin, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves - are used sparingly but more prominently in the south of the Aegean, where Arab influence has left its mark, particularly in Crete and the Dodecanese.’
- ‘In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, almonds, cinnamon stick, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and wine.’
2A tree of the myrtle family from which allspice is obtained.
- ‘Pimenta racemose is of the same family as allspice and has a similar scent and taste.’
- ‘The allspice tree is not related to the pepper or to capsicum plants.’
- ‘Pimento, or allspice, is native to Jamaica and an important export crop.’
- ‘The spicy tea made from the bay leaf (a member of the allspice family) is not only soothing, but can also help fight off the beginnings of a cold or the flu.’
3An aromatic North American tree or shrub.
- ‘A most remarkable little ruddy blossom is that which we find on the sweet-scented shrub or Carolina allspice (Calycanthus lævigatus) from May to August.’
- ‘Many, but not all Carolina allspice have a complex fruity, spicy smell.’
- ‘Purchase Carolina allspice when it's in flower because the quality of the fragrance varies from plant to plant.’
- ‘Smaller trees and shrubs include red maple, Carolina allspice, and the fragrant spicebush.’
- ‘The huge evergreen family includes botanicals such as European mistletoe, rosemary, cloves, allspice and holly, as well as conifers, including pines, cedars and cypress.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.