One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Said when making a polite request or offering help.‘please allow me to introduce myself’‘'Here, allow me,' came a woman's voice from behind him’
- ‘Thank you for allowing me to print this second chapter in your life.’
- ‘Allow me to start by confessing that tension between the two young Mrs. Ferrars was the least apparent conflict of this evening.’
- ‘Hurriedly, she added, "Please allow me to thank you for your service."’
- ‘Thanks to you all for allowing me to a part it.’
- ‘Thank you for allowing me to share this special time with you.’
- ‘Allow me, at this point, to introduce my old friend Maria.’
- ‘They then allow me, a former student pilot, to give it a go.’
- ‘Allow me to be among the first to congratulate you on your acceptance.’
- ‘I am very grateful for those who allow me the honor of being read.’
- ‘Kindly allow me the courtesy of your columns to convey the following to my Indian brethren.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.