Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Said when making a polite request or offering help.‘please allow me to introduce myself’‘'Here, allow me,' came a woman's voice from behind him’
- ‘Thanks to you all for allowing me to a part it.’
- ‘Allow me, at this point, to introduce my old friend Maria.’
- ‘Thank you for allowing me to print this second chapter in your life.’
- ‘Kindly allow me the courtesy of your columns to convey the following to my Indian brethren.’
- ‘Allow me to be among the first to congratulate you on your acceptance.’
- ‘Allow me to start by confessing that tension between the two young Mrs. Ferrars was the least apparent conflict of this evening.’
- ‘They then allow me, a former student pilot, to give it a go.’
- ‘Hurriedly, she added, "Please allow me to thank you for your service."’
- ‘I am very grateful for those who allow me the honor of being read.’
- ‘Thank you for allowing me to share this special time with you.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.