One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The growth of body parts at different rates, resulting in a change of body proportions.
- ‘Leaf morphology has been quantified and treated mathematically in various contexts, including taxonomy, differential growth and allometry, leaf area estimation and the branching and development of veins.’
- ‘Previous empirical studies have neglected this allometry effect when investigating the relationship between the ratio of male size to female size and the size of females, for example in reptiles, birds, or mammals.’
- ‘Fortunately, recent studies of the allometry of teeth, jaws, and skulls of mammalian carnivores allow for some direct comparison of scaling relationships between mammalian and dinosaurian predators.’
- ‘The positive allometry in both groups suggests that larger species loaded their jaws more heavily, because deeper jaws are much stronger in resisting loads applied dorsoventrally, as during jaw closure.’
- ‘Within a defined population, one may expect to find continuous character variation; thus, the adult variability is mainly dependent on allometry occurring at different moments during individual growth.’
- 1.1 The study of allometry.
- ‘He is thus considered to have founded the study of allometry.’
- ‘Steve jumped at the chance to write a paper for Biological Reviews on allometry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.