One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The fertilization of a flower by pollen from another flower, especially one on a different plant.Compare with autogamy
- ‘Changes in floral morphology are normally required to promote either autogamy or allogamy.’
- ‘Simulations were based on a Wright-Fisher model, with two modifications: separate sexes (with an equal sex ratio) and strict allogamy (no selfing).’
- ‘The allogamy in the genus Helianthus is favoured by the particular mechanism of anthesis in which anthers shed pollen before the stigma of the same flower is ready to receive it.’
- ‘Similar patterns were observed for 100% allogamy and 10% allogamy.’
- ‘This specialized system is thought to be an adaptation promoting allogamy by secondary pollen presentation.’
Late 19th century: from allo- ‘other, different’ + Greek -gamia (from gamos ‘marriage’).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.