Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘A double pseudo-testcross strategy has generally been adopted for constructing genetic maps in conifers having allogamous characteristics.’
- ‘In the literature, few studies of gene nucleotide diversity have considered both within-population and between-population variation in allogamous plants.’
- ‘Some species are self-compatible (thereafter called SC species) and are obligatorily or facultatively autogamous, while other species have a self-incompatible locus (SI species) and are obligatorily allogamous.’
- ‘On the other hand, invading species with predominantly allogamous modes of reproduction may possess a high level of genetic diversity.’
- ‘The construction of maps of autotetraploids is a much greater problem than that of maps of allogamous diploids.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.