Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A formal speech giving advice or a warning.‘the daily allocutions of the Pontificate’
talk, address, lecture, discourse, oration, disquisition, peroration, declamation, deliverance, presentationView synonyms
- ‘This he made abundantly clear in the allocution he delivered in Rome on May 12, 1879, on the occasion of receiving the cardinal's red hat from Pope Leo XIII.’
- ‘And that language is sure to be loaded with sensitivities about respect, honor, pride, and dignity, along with allocutions to the sacred, purifying nature of violence.’
- ‘Nor did Pope Pius XII eschew the field of psychotherapy, if one credits his allocutions to those who practiced in the field.’
- ‘However there's this old tradition called allocution of a judge, when he denounces someone who is a culprit, and he advises that person of their wrongdoing and what a proper opinion of that individual ought to be.’
- ‘And then he invited us to say what we would - to ‘make our allocutions’ - before he rendered a sentence.’
- ‘At the same time, the inclusion of personal testimonies softens the allocution patterns typical of radio.’
- ‘In any event, during the accused's exercise of his allocution right under s.726 of the Code, he specifically stated he had had a good and rewarding life with his family and in his work during the two decades he spent in Tanzania.’
- ‘Four of the McCartney sisters received thunderous applause after a most eloquent and moving allocution from the distinguished Political Editor of The Sunday World.’
Early 17th century: from Latin allocutio(n-), from alloqui speak to, from ad- to + loqui speak.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.