One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bulbous plant of a genus that includes the onion and its relatives (e.g. garlic, leek, and chives).
Genus Allium, family Liliaceae (or Alliaceae)
- ‘Consuming onions and other alliums like leeks and garlic also appears to lower rates of breast, esophageal, and stomach cancers.’
- ‘Allium moly is an ornamental allium, or flowering onion.’
- ‘With hundreds of tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, lilies, alliums and other bulbs to consider for planting this fall, catalogues give both the visual sizzle and nitty-gritty information needed to make smart choices.’
- ‘A specialty crop of the Dutch, alliums are grown by nearly 50 flower bulb growers in Holland.’
- ‘The wide use of alliums as ornamental plants, however, is a more recent phenomenon, first gaining favor about the middle of the 19th century.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.