One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bulbous plant of a genus that includes the onion and its relatives (e.g. garlic, leek, and chives).
- ‘With hundreds of tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, lilies, alliums and other bulbs to consider for planting this fall, catalogues give both the visual sizzle and nitty-gritty information needed to make smart choices.’
- ‘The wide use of alliums as ornamental plants, however, is a more recent phenomenon, first gaining favor about the middle of the 19th century.’
- ‘A specialty crop of the Dutch, alliums are grown by nearly 50 flower bulb growers in Holland.’
- ‘Allium moly is an ornamental allium, or flowering onion.’
- ‘Consuming onions and other alliums like leeks and garlic also appears to lower rates of breast, esophageal, and stomach cancers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.