Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bulbous plant of a genus that includes the onion and its relatives (e.g. garlic, leek, and chives).
- ‘Allium moly is an ornamental allium, or flowering onion.’
- ‘Consuming onions and other alliums like leeks and garlic also appears to lower rates of breast, esophageal, and stomach cancers.’
- ‘The wide use of alliums as ornamental plants, however, is a more recent phenomenon, first gaining favor about the middle of the 19th century.’
- ‘A specialty crop of the Dutch, alliums are grown by nearly 50 flower bulb growers in Holland.’
- ‘With hundreds of tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, lilies, alliums and other bulbs to consider for planting this fall, catalogues give both the visual sizzle and nitty-gritty information needed to make smart choices.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.