One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A European shad (fish) with a deep blue back and silvery sides.Also called king of the herrings
- ‘If allis shad were presently spawning in the area then they would likely be similarly vulnerable.’
- ‘Other migratory fish are the twaite and very rare allis shads which migrate up the river to spawn in the spring.’
- ‘The three species of endangered fishes are allis shad, Killarney shad and pollan.’
- ‘The current status of allis shad in Northern Ireland is unknown and requires urgent investigation.’
- ‘In the early 19th century, allis shad made up a third of fish catches in the Severn (Britain's longest river).’
Late 16th century: allis from Old French alose, from late Latin alausa.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.