One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sprung metal clip with long, serrated jaws, used attached to an electric cable for making a temporary connection to a battery or other component; a crocodile clip.
- ‘Twist each section clockwise and then click back off the forehead with a small claw clip, bobby pin or tiny alligator clip.’
- ‘Electricity was being passed through me via the alligator clips.’
- ‘Travel has changed dramatically since the days when I carried alligator clips and an acoustic coupler to get online in hotel rooms.’
- ‘Black eyeliner and an alligator clip to hold my hair up, and I was ready to go - after putting on my black chucks, of course.’
- ‘If the alligator clip cannot be attached to my shirt for any reason (old-fashioned styles can only be clipped in the direction that men's shirts button), it can be clipped to the jacket or vest.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.