One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A screw with a hexagonal socket in the head.
- ‘Both blued and stainless versions are offered with an Allen screw in the head of the pin that can be tightened against the bottom of the barrel to prevent movement under recoil.’
- ‘The standard pin has a larger head complete with an Allen screw for locking in place.’
- ‘There's also an Allen screw tension adjustment to regulate how tightly the pistol is held.’
- ‘One of the really nice things about the little rifle is that changing barrels is very easy - simply remove two Allen screws.’
- ‘All you have to do is loosen - and then tighten - two Allen screws to change barrels.’
1930s: from the name of the manufacturer (see Allen key).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.