One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A spanner designed to fit into and turn an Allen screw.
- ‘Attaching the back of the chair to the seat took me a good hour, wrestling in equal measure with an Allen key, the various chair components and an over-eager cat given to chasing small parts and hiding screwdrivers.’
- ‘However, there are some differences in how the blades are changed, ranging from a hex-head set screw that requires an Allen wrench to a simple flip-lever design that does need a tool.’
- ‘Packing a small adjustable spanner and a set of Allen keys will make sure you can do those last-minute running repairs.’
- ‘Presumably it arrived in a flat pack with instructions and an Allen key.’
- ‘After much work with an Allen wrench the Wookie tightened the wheel enough to make it catch and then, by holding his tongue the right way and not breathing too much, spliced the rotten wires together.’
1960s: from the name of the manufacturer, the Allen Manufacturing Company, of Hartford, Connecticut.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.