Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Any of a number of German dances, in particular an elaborate court dance popular in the 16th century.
- ‘Tureck gives us real dreams not only in weighty sarabande, but also in the so-called ‘lighter’ dances of the allemande, corrente, and gigue.’
- ‘Similarly, we can discover all different kinds of allemandes, courantes, sarabandes and ‘Galanterien’, although our knowledge of the subtleties of Bach's local subgenres of dances is still very limited.’
- ‘As such courtly French dances as the allemande and courante eventually overtook the pavan and galliard in popularity, so they were assimilated into the suite.’
- ‘It was a stately allemande, and luckily he knew all the steps.’
- ‘It supplies descriptions of numerous dances, plus musical notation, with the steps and positions clearly defined, e.g. basse danse, galliarde, volte, courante, allemande, and 24 versions of the branle.’
- 1.1 The music for an allemande, especially as a movement of a suite:‘the deep and moving Allemande which opens Suite No. 20’
- ‘To the traditional form of the suite - allemande, courante, sarabande, and gigue - Bach added an introductory Prélude with a pair of fashionable modern dances.’
- ‘The suites mostly have four short movements, a prelude or allemande, courante, sarabande and gigue, with some variants.’
- 1.2 A figure in country dancing in which adjacent dancers link arms or join hands and make a full or partial turn:‘‘Pass through, ends crossfold, left allemande.’’
- ‘So we can jig and reel, we are capable of pas de pax setting, possettes and allemande, and we even know the names of some of the people that go there.’
Late 17th century: from French, German (dance).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.