Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Sunflowers, beautiful as they are on a summer day, are valuable as a source of both oil and meal, and sunflowers are also powerfully allelopathic against many tough weeds.’
- ‘Most studies of allelopathic effects have focused on early vegetative plant growth, i.e. seed germination, a period with high metabolic activity.’
- ‘Deep-shading and allelopathic crops can ‘treat’ particularly weedy areas.’
- ‘An allelopathic plant releases potentially toxic substances into the environment through its roots, its leaves or processes such as evaporation.’
- ‘Lichens were removed because they can be allelopathic.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.