Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of two or more alternative forms of a gene that arise by mutation and are found at the same place on a chromosome.Also called allelomorph
- ‘In the case of electrons, nine alleles had point-like mutations and three had rearrangements.’
- ‘We have no two plant lines that are identical for all alleles of genes yet differ appreciably for genome size.’
- ‘This result is consistent with the idea that the five members of the group are alleles of the same gene.’
- ‘These genes have multiple alleles and are expressed either in the stigma or in the pollen.’
- ‘Variation within a population is due to the presence of multiple alleles of a gene.’
1930s: from German Allel, abbreviation of allelomorph.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.