One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of two or more alternative forms of a gene that arise by mutation and are found at the same place on a chromosome.Also called allelomorph
- ‘Variation within a population is due to the presence of multiple alleles of a gene.’
- ‘These genes have multiple alleles and are expressed either in the stigma or in the pollen.’
- ‘We have no two plant lines that are identical for all alleles of genes yet differ appreciably for genome size.’
- ‘This result is consistent with the idea that the five members of the group are alleles of the same gene.’
- ‘In the case of electrons, nine alleles had point-like mutations and three had rearrangements.’
1930s: from German Allel, abbreviation of allelomorph.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.