Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘But the specific point of this particular allegorization and appropriation is, in a kind of recursive loop, to support the sacred poetics which the narrator is building for himself.’
- ‘Giotto's frescos run in four bands along facing walls of the chapel, depicting (from top to bottom) scenes from the life of Mary, scenes from the life of Christ, and allegorizations of virtues and vices.’
- ‘Yes, perhaps we can see that a figural interpretation of the parable is an appropriate step, but what about the wholesale allegorization of all the details?’
- ‘The phrase ‘in the space of six days’ simply echoed Calvin, who like the other Reformers, spoke against the allegorization of a minority of the Church Fathers.’
- ‘Likewise, the reader draws ethical consequences from the process of allegorization and emotive investment.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.