One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A crystalline compound formed in the nitrogen metabolism of many mammals (excluding primates).
A cyclic compound related to hydantoin; chemical formula: C₄H₆N₄O₃
- ‘And he was right, since plantain contains allantoin, a proven healer of injured skin cells.’
- ‘Oftentimes, it is not the cortisol stimulating properties which are cited for their healing properties but some other biochemical agent such as allantoin in comfrey.’
- ‘Formulated with glycerin and allantoin, it will also moisturize and protect any tiny cuts left by your razor.’
- ‘The active compounds are allantoin and rosmarinic acid.’
- ‘Comfrey contains allantoin, a natural substance that stimulates the growth of new skin cells.’
Mid 19th century: from allantois (because it was discovered in the allantoic fluid of cows) + -in.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.