One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Said or written to wish a person well on ending a letter or parting.
- ‘Museum staff said they wanted to wish the team all the best for next season and so invited them along to see the Harrier.’
- ‘Their many friends wish them all the best of good fortune for many years to come.’
- ‘We wish him all the best - the man is simply a genius and this is undoubtedly a highlight of the whole month.’
- ‘We also wish them all the best while away and hope that they return back home safe and sound again in autumn.’
- ‘We wish the Courages all the best and thank them for standing in at short notice.’
- ‘We wish him all the best for the future years and may his great success continue.’
- ‘The staff and committee would like to wish her all the best for the future in her new position.’
- ‘Well done to both players on a great achievement and we wish them all the best in the All Ireland final.’
- ‘They are wished all the best by their many friends around the Kiltimagh and Knock areas.’
- ‘So there are some people in my life embarking on new love and I wish them all the best, I am glad to hear they are happy.’
- ‘I want to wish her all the best in her week ahead, a week that will surely prove to be a trip of a lifetime.’
- ‘The pupils and teachers are wished all the best as the new school year recommences.’
- ‘Vince has a lot to offer, and I wish him all the best as he makes his mark on the national sporting scene.’
- ‘You won't see me writing on Monday so You will have to wish me all the best from now.’
- ‘I want to wish him all the best and to encourage him to keep up the good work because there are two more to go.’
- ‘We would like to take this opportunity to wish them both all the best with their new venture.’
- ‘But he did, and we did a little catch up and I wished him all the best in his career.’
- ‘I'm still behind my decision but I wish them all the best and they deserve all the credit they get.’
- ‘Here's wishing you all the best over this difficult period, and hoping you will be back to full steam in no time!’
- ‘I wish him all the best with the movie, which I know is popular, and which I still haven't seen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.