One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Christian festival in honour of all the saints in heaven, held (in the Western Church) on 1 November.
- ‘In the 8th century Pope Boniface IV designated November 1st as All Saints' Day, to honour those saints that didn't have a special day of their own.’
- ‘On All Saints' Day, people visit cemeteries, light candles, and place chrysanthemums on the graves in remembrance of their deceased loved ones.’
- ‘The word ‘Hallowe'en’ comes from ‘All Hallow's Eve,’ the day before the Catholic All Saints' Day on 1 November.’
- ‘Back in 1636, Jesuit priests crossed the mysterious glacial lake to convert the native Tehuelche Indians, on November 1 - All Saints' Day.’
- ‘So, in the seventh century AD, the church moved its All Saints' Day, a holiday for honoring early Christian martyrs, from a day in May to November 1, thus associating it with the old Druid death rituals of October 31.’
- ‘The two-way street past the cemetery is switched one day of the year, on the morning of All Saints' Day, today, to a one-way street.’
- ‘Traditionally, the spirits of the departed were thought to return to earth on All Saints' Day.’
- ‘Many Micronesian states celebrate Ash Wednesday (in February), Easter (in March or April), All Saints' Day (in November), and Christmas.’
- ‘The rich dish was served on feast days such as All Saints' Day, Christmas, and New Year's Day.’
- ‘But now it's almost November, almost All Saints' Day, and there's a sale on sepulchral candles, brightly colored, in four-packs.’
- ‘We read Matthew's account of the beatitudes on All Saints' Day, and it comforts us and makes us feel good.’
- ‘Religious holidays, such as Christmas, Easter, Assumption Day, and All Saints' Day are recognized as national holidays.’
- ‘To not visit the family tomb on All Saints' Day was unforgivable.’
- ‘The administration tried to convince the public that special hourly train service would be established, with extra trains on Sundays and holidays such as All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day.’
- ‘They also observe other Roman Catholic festivals, including Ascension Day (forty days after Easter) and All Saints' Day.’
- ‘Foreign exchange and stock market trading will be closed Wednesday and Thursday as the country observes All Saints' Day.’
- ‘Catholic areas celebrate the Feast of Corpus Christi (eleven days after Pentecost) and All Saints' Day.’
- ‘Robert Pickus turned eighty on October 31, one day short of All Saints' Day.’
- ‘It was an interesting coincidence, he told me, that I should have put the question on the first day of November, which is All Saints' Day, since the homage he paid by fleeting glances was his way of visiting certain graves.’
- ‘November featured both All Saints' Day and Saint Catherine's Day, during which it was a French Canadian custom to pull taffy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.