One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Christian festival in honour of all the saints in heaven, held (in the Western Church) on 1 November.
- ‘Many Micronesian states celebrate Ash Wednesday (in February), Easter (in March or April), All Saints' Day (in November), and Christmas.’
- ‘Back in 1636, Jesuit priests crossed the mysterious glacial lake to convert the native Tehuelche Indians, on November 1 - All Saints' Day.’
- ‘The two-way street past the cemetery is switched one day of the year, on the morning of All Saints' Day, today, to a one-way street.’
- ‘It was an interesting coincidence, he told me, that I should have put the question on the first day of November, which is All Saints' Day, since the homage he paid by fleeting glances was his way of visiting certain graves.’
- ‘But now it's almost November, almost All Saints' Day, and there's a sale on sepulchral candles, brightly colored, in four-packs.’
- ‘On All Saints' Day, people visit cemeteries, light candles, and place chrysanthemums on the graves in remembrance of their deceased loved ones.’
- ‘November featured both All Saints' Day and Saint Catherine's Day, during which it was a French Canadian custom to pull taffy.’
- ‘To not visit the family tomb on All Saints' Day was unforgivable.’
- ‘They also observe other Roman Catholic festivals, including Ascension Day (forty days after Easter) and All Saints' Day.’
- ‘Religious holidays, such as Christmas, Easter, Assumption Day, and All Saints' Day are recognized as national holidays.’
- ‘Robert Pickus turned eighty on October 31, one day short of All Saints' Day.’
- ‘In the 8th century Pope Boniface IV designated November 1st as All Saints' Day, to honour those saints that didn't have a special day of their own.’
- ‘Catholic areas celebrate the Feast of Corpus Christi (eleven days after Pentecost) and All Saints' Day.’
- ‘The rich dish was served on feast days such as All Saints' Day, Christmas, and New Year's Day.’
- ‘The word ‘Hallowe'en’ comes from ‘All Hallow's Eve,’ the day before the Catholic All Saints' Day on 1 November.’
- ‘Traditionally, the spirits of the departed were thought to return to earth on All Saints' Day.’
- ‘The administration tried to convince the public that special hourly train service would be established, with extra trains on Sundays and holidays such as All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day.’
- ‘Foreign exchange and stock market trading will be closed Wednesday and Thursday as the country observes All Saints' Day.’
- ‘We read Matthew's account of the beatitudes on All Saints' Day, and it comforts us and makes us feel good.’
- ‘So, in the seventh century AD, the church moved its All Saints' Day, a holiday for honoring early Christian martyrs, from a day in May to November 1, thus associating it with the old Druid death rituals of October 31.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.