Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Many different kinds of.‘echinacea is used by American Indians for all manner of ailments’
- ‘The simple answer is to fill in the blanks with all manner of really important things to do.’
- ‘Living on the main road, I see this every day with all manner of vehicles whose drivers ignore the speed limit.’
- ‘Nowadays, worshippers of all faiths can rely on all manner of electronic reminders.’
- ‘The door is double-locked, with chains and bolts, because behind it lies all manner of secrets.’
- ‘Our society claims to be caring - yet unrestrained selfishness leads to all manner of evil.’
- ‘They are also a critical means of expanding the market reach for all manner of products in an economy.’
- ‘Even if I only travel to Blackpool I am harassed by all manner of insects that want to suck every last drop of blood out of me.’
- ‘As always in such cases, all manner of conspiracy theories immediately sprang up.’
- ‘They've come up with all manner of catchy slogans designed to tip the scales in their favour.’
- ‘A conflict raged at the heart of Europe which posed all manner of seminal questions for the nature of humanity.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.