Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small open motor vehicle with one seat and three or more wheels fitted with large tyres, designed for use on rough ground.
- ‘It then added skeet shooting and has just opened some trails to all-terrain vehicles.’
- ‘Players can race in karts, stock cars, all-terrain vehicles and jalopies, but the problem is that none of these different vehicles add new play mechanics.’
- ‘Not only do they produce all-terrain vehicles at their plant, but they also produce jet skis, motorcycles, utility vehicles, robots, and light rail cars.’
- ‘It unites a high performance luxury saloon, a fully-fledged all-terrain vehicle and a versatile six-seat MPV beneath a dramatically styled sport utility body shell.’
- ‘There will be 45 helicopters in the air, dogs on patrol, and all-terrain vehicles on the ground, and observation posts along the public transport routes.’
- ‘Irresponsible drivers of fat-tired swamp buggies, motorcycles, and other all-terrain vehicles have ripped thousands of miles of outlaw trails through ecologically sensitive land.’
- ‘Horses can go where vehicles can't - where even all-terrain vehicles get stuck - and cover ground possibly not traversable by foot.’
- ‘New vehicles include the Wolf - a Land Rover replacement - and the ATV, an armoured all-terrain vehicle which will provide protected mobility.’
- ‘The four-wheel, all-terrain vehicles based on motorcycle engines have changed deer hunting in Texas.’
- ‘The 57-year-old vegetable farmer said he's particularly concerned about all-terrain vehicles, or ATVs, roaring through his acreage.’
- ‘There are currently two models of Moonbuggy - a disabled all-terrain vehicle and an unmanned ground vehicle.’
- ‘Recently, I've noticed youngsters in my area joy riding and doing wheelies on their all-terrain vehicles.’
- ‘Several operations have hired people to regularly drive motorcycles and/or all-terrain vehicles through the planting when the fruit is ripe.’
- ‘If you already own or are thinking of purchasing an all-terrain vehicle you may be surprised to learn how many attachments are available for it.’
- ‘In Club Med St Lucia, daytime activities include tennis, go-kart racing, tours with the all-terrain vehicles sometimes known as quad-bikes, windsurfing, scuba and sun-bathing.’
- ‘She said: ‘The National Parks were created for people to enjoy fresh air and peace and to get away from the ever-present motor car and not as testing grounds for all-terrain vehicles.’’
- ‘These surveys involved extensive ground traversing by all-terrain vehicles and low-level surveys from a helicopter.’
- ‘To prepare for the feat Steve has already completed a series of landings from much lower down using all-terrain vehicles similar to quad bikes.’
- ‘State laws addressing dealer agreements have long been a staple for sellers of RVs, automobiles, all-terrain vehicles, farm equipment and motorcycles, but marine manufacturers have lobbied state by state to prevent their passage.’
- ‘Third, he imposed new emissions standards on a range of previously unregulated machines - construction vehicles, outboard motors, all-terrain vehicles and others.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.