Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Consisting of or intended for men only.‘an all-male audience’‘an all-male event’
- ‘Her part as the only woman in an otherwise all-male news team is mirrored by her being the only significant female in the cast.’
- ‘Boyd doesn't believe women have a harder time winning an audience over - "If you're funny, you're funny" - but she acknowledges the pressure of being the only woman on an otherwise all-male line-up.’
- ‘Have all the women in the office gone out for lunch, or is this an all-male firm?’
- ‘The prisoner-of-war drama The Colditz Story (1955), Hamilton's most commercially successful film from the 1950s, featured an all-male cast and, for all its Boy's Own heroics, offered a nuanced presentation of the intricacies of male camaraderie.’
- ‘In 1997 the Vienna Philharmonic, the last bastion of all-male orchestral playing, capitulated to outside pressure and granted membership to their female harpist.’
- ‘Wales is famous for its all-male choirs, which have evolved from the religious choral tradition.’
- ‘Asked about it at the time, Fay said he couldn't justify the club's all-male membership policy to his two daughters.’
- ‘The all-male line-up is two countertenors, one tenor, two baritones, and one bass.’
- ‘I have an all-male dance company and that seems to be the focus of press surrounding the company.’
- ‘Swiss women were given the vote by an all-male referendum only in 1971.’
- ‘Living their waking hours in an all-male community, they remained schoolboys at heart and in mind.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.