Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of the series of unsaturated hydrocarbons containing a triple bond, including acetylene.
- ‘The alkyne functional group is the carbon-carbon triple bond.’
- ‘Alkanes (sometimes called paraffins) have only single bonds, while alkenes (sometimes called olefins) have a carbon-carbon double bond, and alkynes have a carbon-carbon triple bond.’
- ‘By careful use of appropriate conditions and catalysts alkanes can be converted into other hydrocarbons such as the alkenes and alkynes.’
- ‘Originally the alkynes were called the acetylenes.’
- ‘The first step is the addition of the proton to the pi bond of the alkene or alkyne, acting as the electron source.’
Early 20th century: from alkyl + -yne.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.