Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The same sample was resolved into 7 distinct spots by acrylamide alkylation.’
- ‘Small alterations to bases, including oxidation and alkylation, are mainly repaired by the pathway known as base excision repair.’
- ‘These reactions occur via acylation or alkylation and are often rapid, forming stable primary amide or secondary amine bonds.’
- ‘Important synthetic methodology also exists for the alkylation of enolate ions.’
- ‘Likewise the mustard nitrogen of chlorambucil should not be covalently joined to antibody, since it must be free to generate the toxic aziridinium ion responsible for DNA alkylation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.