One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of synthetic polyester resins derived from various alcohols and acids.as modifier ‘alkyd paints’
- ‘The nonaqueous media include linseed or stand oils, dryers, varnish, alkyds, molten wax, organic solvent-based acrylic, epoxy, stains, and lacquers.’
- ‘The acrylic-modified waterborne alkyd is a hybrid resin prepared by the polymerization of at least one ethylenically unsaturated monomer in the presence of a waterborne alkyd having at least one pendant sulfonate functionality.’
- ‘Natural bristles work only with alkyd paints; synthetic bristles work with both alkyd and latex.’
- ‘Modern paint media are based for the most part on synthetic alkyds (possibly oil-modified) and acrylics.’
- ‘Oil paints usually have a drying oil or a modified oil, called alkyds, as their binders.’
1920s: blend of alkyl and acid.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.