One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
drinker, heavy drinker, problem drinker, drunk, drunkard, alcoholic, dipsomaniac, alcohol-abuser, alcohol addict, person with a drink problemView synonyms
- ‘I lived my childhood and teens constantly terrified that someone would find out that my mother was barking mad and an alkie to boot.’
- ‘They give it Russian labels; but alkies just don't care’
- ‘Aiming to be the most comprehensive source of vodka information on the Net, iVodka.com is the site for the erudite alkie.’
- ‘It's the additional bottle of schnapps for the alky who should be drying out.’
- ‘Then he decided he was too young to be an alkie, this wasn't alcoholism, this was making himself feel better.’
- ‘A lot of people say it is just the junkies and alkies, but it isn't, there's a lot of people my age involved.’
- ‘The sergeant advised letting it go because it was ‘just the alkies and the druggies fighting.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.