Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of the series of unsaturated hydrocarbons containing a double bond, including ethylene and propene.→ olefin
- ‘Among the 4800 constituents of tobacco smoke, researchers have identified more than 100 alkanes, 150 alkenes and 55 alicyclic hydrocarbons.’
- ‘By careful use of appropriate conditions and catalysts alkanes can be converted into other hydrocarbons such as the alkenes and alkynes.’
- ‘Epoxidation, the conversion of an olefin (an unsaturated alkene hydrocarbon) to a cyclic ether through reaction with hydrogen peroxide, a peracid, or oxygen, is an important chemical technique.’
- ‘The functional group of an alkene is its carbon-carbon double bond.’
- ‘This is one of the most common ways of synthesizing alkenes, double-bonded hydrocarbons.’
Late 19th century: from alkyl + -ene.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.