One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the series of unsaturated hydrocarbons containing a double bond, including ethylene and propene.
- ‘Among the 4800 constituents of tobacco smoke, researchers have identified more than 100 alkanes, 150 alkenes and 55 alicyclic hydrocarbons.’
- ‘By careful use of appropriate conditions and catalysts alkanes can be converted into other hydrocarbons such as the alkenes and alkynes.’
- ‘Epoxidation, the conversion of an olefin (an unsaturated alkene hydrocarbon) to a cyclic ether through reaction with hydrogen peroxide, a peracid, or oxygen, is an important chemical technique.’
- ‘The functional group of an alkene is its carbon-carbon double bond.’
- ‘This is one of the most common ways of synthesizing alkenes, double-bonded hydrocarbons.’
Late 19th century: from alkyl + -ene.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.