Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Treat with alkali:‘some food or beverage applications use a 'natural' cocoa powder, which has not been alkalized’
- ‘The CHRB also approved a rule relating to tests for alkalizing agents, or milkshakes, that adds a split-sample provision for the protection of horsemen.’
- ‘Supergreens work to alkalise the body: you take them in water, and they taste just the right side of strange.’
- ‘‘Sometimes a more highly alkalized powder like cocoa powder is used to produce a more intense dark chocolate flavor,’ says Freeman.’
- ‘The results indicate some horses have been administered alkalizing substances in excessive amounts.’
- ‘The state of California will publish on Friday a proposed regulation that would ban the administration of alkalizing agents to racehorses, a practice known as milkshaking.’
- ‘Ellis Park will become the third racetrack to test entrants for alkalizing agents or ‘milkshakes’ when it opens its summer meeting on July 13.’
- ‘Red Clover has an alkalizing affect, which is very beneficial in balancing the overly acidic conditions from a modern diet.’
- ‘‘The lightly alkalized and natural cocoa powders are also the more affordable powders,’ says Stunek.’
- ‘Natural and/or alkalized cocoa powders influence dairy beverage formulations in different ways.’
- ‘Malate alkalizes xylem sap to a greater extent than nitrate.’
- ‘‘Utilizing alkalized cocoa provides Forbes' powder with a rich, dark color and flavor, critical to getting a premium powder for premium applications,’ he says.’
- ‘Rich, indulgent ice creams often utilize an alkalized cocoa powder while other less-intense chocolate ice creams may use a non-alkalized version.’
- ‘Within the chocolate line, Ritenburg says, ‘there seems to be a move towards a more premium flavor, so we might use a finer quality Dutch or alkalized cocoa.’’
- ‘Alkalaemia suppresses renal ammoniagenesis, but the hydrolysis of urea by bacteria liberates ammonia that alkalises urine.’
- ‘Generally, the chocolate milks for children use the mid-range alkalized cocoa powders with a more mild taste, while products targeted to adults use the stronger flavors imparted by higher alkalization.’
- ‘An alkalizing substance that could alter serum or plasma pH, or concentration of bicarbonates, or carbon dioxide may not be given within 24 hours prior to post time of a race in which the horse is entered.’
- ‘The decrease is minimal with lightly alkalized cocoa powder, but with strongly alkalized powder, the gel strength is significantly reduced.’
- ‘It alkalizes the body and gives you loads of potassium.’
- ‘When you start taking coral calcium, your body alkalizes and drives out the acid.’
- ‘This means adding live enzymes to the diet rather than depleting them from the liver and alkalizing the body.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.