Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Treat with alkali.‘some food or beverage applications use a 'natural' cocoa powder, which has not been alkalized’
- ‘It alkalizes the body and gives you loads of potassium.’
- ‘‘Sometimes a more highly alkalized powder like cocoa powder is used to produce a more intense dark chocolate flavor,’ says Freeman.’
- ‘‘Utilizing alkalized cocoa provides Forbes' powder with a rich, dark color and flavor, critical to getting a premium powder for premium applications,’ he says.’
- ‘Malate alkalizes xylem sap to a greater extent than nitrate.’
- ‘This means adding live enzymes to the diet rather than depleting them from the liver and alkalizing the body.’
- ‘‘The lightly alkalized and natural cocoa powders are also the more affordable powders,’ says Stunek.’
- ‘An alkalizing substance that could alter serum or plasma pH, or concentration of bicarbonates, or carbon dioxide may not be given within 24 hours prior to post time of a race in which the horse is entered.’
- ‘Within the chocolate line, Ritenburg says, ‘there seems to be a move towards a more premium flavor, so we might use a finer quality Dutch or alkalized cocoa.’’
- ‘The CHRB also approved a rule relating to tests for alkalizing agents, or milkshakes, that adds a split-sample provision for the protection of horsemen.’
- ‘The state of California will publish on Friday a proposed regulation that would ban the administration of alkalizing agents to racehorses, a practice known as milkshaking.’
- ‘The results indicate some horses have been administered alkalizing substances in excessive amounts.’
- ‘Ellis Park will become the third racetrack to test entrants for alkalizing agents or ‘milkshakes’ when it opens its summer meeting on July 13.’
- ‘When you start taking coral calcium, your body alkalizes and drives out the acid.’
- ‘Generally, the chocolate milks for children use the mid-range alkalized cocoa powders with a more mild taste, while products targeted to adults use the stronger flavors imparted by higher alkalization.’
- ‘Natural and/or alkalized cocoa powders influence dairy beverage formulations in different ways.’
- ‘Alkalaemia suppresses renal ammoniagenesis, but the hydrolysis of urea by bacteria liberates ammonia that alkalises urine.’
- ‘Supergreens work to alkalise the body: you take them in water, and they taste just the right side of strange.’
- ‘Rich, indulgent ice creams often utilize an alkalized cocoa powder while other less-intense chocolate ice creams may use a non-alkalized version.’
- ‘The decrease is minimal with lightly alkalized cocoa powder, but with strongly alkalized powder, the gel strength is significantly reduced.’
- ‘Red Clover has an alkalizing affect, which is very beneficial in balancing the overly acidic conditions from a modern diet.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.