Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Its mild alkalinity works to turn up fatty acids contained in dirt and grease into a form of soap that can be dissolved in water and rinsed easily.’
- ‘Bicarbonate is a measure of the alkalinity of of the body's tissues.’
- ‘Loss of carbon dioxide increases alkalinity and causes a slight diminution in the protein content of the egg.’
- ‘The sulfite provides sufficient alkalinity to activate and maintain the developing process, and in addition acts as a solvent.’
- ‘Precipitating water softeners increase alkalinity of the cleaning solution and this may damage skin and other materials being cleaned.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.