Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having the properties of an alkali, or containing alkali; having a pH greater than 7:‘an alkaline soil’‘a slightly alkaline solution’
corrosive, corroding, mordant, acid, alkaline, burning, stinging, acrid, harsh, destructiveView synonyms
- ‘The primary active ingredients are aluminum salts such as alkaline aluminum chloride.’
- ‘So the demineralization seems to have been in a slightly alkaline solution, not acid.’
- ‘In addition to being acid and alkaline, soil can also be sandy or clay.’
- ‘This process requires soil aeration and a neutral or alkaline soil environment.’
- ‘The alkaline properties of bicarbonate of soda can also be used to soften the skins of beans and other pulses.’
- ‘If these alkaline solutions don't remove all the oil, you can try a solvent.’
- ‘Boxwoods prefer slightly acid to slightly alkaline soil and do very well when planted in early fall.’
- ‘Some alkaline solutions may neutralise it but it will play havoc with the base salts.’
- ‘The precipitate is then treated with acetic acid and an alkaline material.’
- ‘As the soil solution becomes more alkaline availability increases.’
- ‘Decontamination includes washing the skin with alkaline soap and then ethanol.’
- ‘They may be seen as intermediate between primary alkaline manganese cells and rechargeable Ni-Cd cells.’
- ‘The wood chips are placed in the digester and are cooked in a highly corrosive alkaline solution.’
- ‘Manganese deficiency is a common disorder on alkaline soils while its toxicity normally only occurs on strongly acid soils.’
- ‘Liquid bleach used in the laundry is an alkaline solution of hypochlorite ion.’
- ‘They contain a non-toxic alkaline emulsifying chemical which has an immediate cooling effect on the oil.’
- ‘Soluble acid invertase and alkaline invertase were assayed as described previously with some modifications.’
- ‘Values between 7 and 14 are found in basic or alkaline solutions such as caustic or washing soda.’
- ‘On the valley floor, freshwater and alkaline soda lakes support a staggering array of birdlife.’
- ‘This liquid should be an alkaline chemical solution with a PH of more than 7.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.