Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having the properties of an alkali, or containing alkali; having a pH greater than 7.‘an alkaline soil’‘a slightly alkaline solution’
corrosive, corroding, mordant, acid, burning, stinging, acrid, harsh, destructiveView synonyms
- ‘If these alkaline solutions don't remove all the oil, you can try a solvent.’
- ‘The alkaline properties of bicarbonate of soda can also be used to soften the skins of beans and other pulses.’
- ‘The wood chips are placed in the digester and are cooked in a highly corrosive alkaline solution.’
- ‘So the demineralization seems to have been in a slightly alkaline solution, not acid.’
- ‘Values between 7 and 14 are found in basic or alkaline solutions such as caustic or washing soda.’
- ‘They may be seen as intermediate between primary alkaline manganese cells and rechargeable Ni-Cd cells.’
- ‘The primary active ingredients are aluminum salts such as alkaline aluminum chloride.’
- ‘Soluble acid invertase and alkaline invertase were assayed as described previously with some modifications.’
- ‘On the valley floor, freshwater and alkaline soda lakes support a staggering array of birdlife.’
- ‘Decontamination includes washing the skin with alkaline soap and then ethanol.’
- ‘Manganese deficiency is a common disorder on alkaline soils while its toxicity normally only occurs on strongly acid soils.’
- ‘This liquid should be an alkaline chemical solution with a PH of more than 7.’
- ‘As the soil solution becomes more alkaline availability increases.’
- ‘They contain a non-toxic alkaline emulsifying chemical which has an immediate cooling effect on the oil.’
- ‘In addition to being acid and alkaline, soil can also be sandy or clay.’
- ‘Some alkaline solutions may neutralise it but it will play havoc with the base salts.’
- ‘The precipitate is then treated with acetic acid and an alkaline material.’
- ‘Boxwoods prefer slightly acid to slightly alkaline soil and do very well when planted in early fall.’
- ‘Liquid bleach used in the laundry is an alkaline solution of hypochlorite ion.’
- ‘This process requires soil aeration and a neutral or alkaline soil environment.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.