Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of the group of feldspars rich in sodium and/or potassium.
- ‘Olson states that the first mineral to be deposited was a reddish alkali feldspar, followed by abundant deposition of epidote and smaller amounts of pumpellyite.’
- ‘Closer to the contact microcline is replaced by sanidine, and perthitic exsolution in detrital alkali feldspar begins to disappear.’
- ‘The first phase of diagenetic albite constitutes an impure, turbid variety including albitized grains of original plagioclase and alkali feldspar.’
- ‘On the other hand, the mogila granite had a darker mineral texture, a greater content of the mineral plagioclase, and large pink crystals of alkali feldspar up to 1.5 inches in length to 0.5 inches in width.’
- ‘Of these, alkali feldspar, particularly orthoclase, is the most common.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.